Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Big Bear Lake

We've been at Big Bear Lake this week. We set up the tents outside our classrooms, and we've been reading inside the tents. We set up the tables with camping stoves, maps, lanterns, and other gear. Tomorrow we're going on a hike to Maxwell Park. We'll see the three habitats: the meadow, the woods and the creek. In the end we'll eat lunch at the campground and listen to sappy love songs sung by Mr. Madison. All this is connected to our reading curriculum: Henry & Mudge and the Starry Night.

I'm a bit jittery about tomorrow because I am short on parent volunteers. I just have one, and that's Mo, Kahlil's stepdad. I guess if I have to I'll buddy up with Mrs. Griffith who has 6 parent volunteers.

Today Patsy brought in water bottles holders for the entire class. We will take them on the hike. They each picked one hand crocheted bottle which will live in the classroom until the end of all our field trips. I showed slides of hikes with former classes while they tried on the water bottles with Patsy's help.

They calmed down more today, still I am concerned about the noise level in my class. I've got a lively bunch. At least they read well - I have six who can read at 3rd grade level.

No comments:

Post a Comment